Wednesday 1 February 2012

Wednesday 1 February 2012

For all the hopes and careful exhortations that went into the build-up to Rhoda Barnett's visit, it went absolutely nowhere. "She was adamant that because they had 'a suspicion', that was enough to set off the suspension and inquiry. She refused to go beyond that into the reasons for the suspicion. They did see the email in which I offered to pay the £25 myself but evidently chose to ignore or disbelieve it. Now they have accepted the report - that I am innocent of financial irregularity - but still seem to think I should have known about the non-existent procedure on paying family. All the good work, cost savings, benefits for the Society counts for nothing. Having spent all that money on the inquiry, they are now determined to force me out on the grounds that I am an unfit person to be an officer of the Society. I am to be tried at the officers meeting on 10th February. Bratt and Rogerson will put their case, I will put mine, the other three trustees will decide who is right, and the officers will decide if I stay or go. They will be told that if the vote goes against Bratt and Rogerson, all the trustees will resign. They need 8 votes, The trustees are also officers, so there they have 5. Shall I take a toy kangaroo to sit beside me in the trial?"
Dave tells me not to get so bothered; he's beyond caring and they aren't worth it. He knows he can't win - only one and possibly two other officers will stand up for him if they are told the alternative is to lose all the trustees. But the blatant unfairness, the ruthless bullying, stupefies me.
He wonders whether to bother attending, or just to resign now. Catherine says he should walk away; the sooner he goes, the sooner we'll all get over it. For now, he thinks he may as well attend; he has nothing to lose and it will be one last chance to confront Rogerson with some home truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment